On one of my many trips to the thrift store, I came across this little barstool. If I say it was love at first sight, that would be a lie. The wood was dirty and the fabric was super dirty. But I took it home anyway because it was cheap, cleaned it up ,and gave it some new fabric & padding.
What I Used
Stapler 1/2 inch Padding
Scissors Flathead Screwdriver
Clean Cloth Soap & Water
How I Did It
- Clean the wood with warm soapy water and cloth. Then wipe off any soap residue with a clean damp cloth.
- Remove the seating from the stool using a screw driver.
- Remove fabric & padding using a flathead screw driver or a stapler remover.
- If your padding is in good condition you can reuse it. My padding was covered in mold so I tossed it then throughly washed my hands and under my nails.
- Trace the shape of the seat onto the padding. Then add a half of inch to the measurements and cut out your shape.
- Adhere the padding to the seat using a light coat of spray adhesive.
- Wrap the seat with your fabric and secure with a stapler.
- For this project, I started with the corners because of the shape. If your seat doesn’t not have cutout on the corners, start securing you fabric in the center and then work your way out to the corners.
- Cutting out excess fabric in the folds will help with removing unnecessary bulk.
Anna Liesemeyer says
Fantastic! I have some similar ones coming my way that will need an upcycle. Love your blog layout btw:)
Thanks Anna and good luck with your barstools.
Anca Stefan says
Wow! Amazing job, is so pretty! <3
Thank you Anca
hmmm, I”ve been sitting on a stool with bare wood top. I keep saying I want to make a top for it, you are making this look very easy and it came out gorgeous!!! This is a must do!
Go for it Rosie. It is really easy to do.
Megan C says
This is great! I really need to start taking up some DIY projects!
Go for it. DIY rocks! 🙂
Kate F. says
I’m normally not crazy about chevron prints, but this is really cute! I like the colors.
Lauryn R says
This is a great post! I have always wanted to refurbish furniture but have not done very many things. I love that you provide a step by step process of making over this barstool! And it looks beautiful!
Fatima Hussain says
im definitely going to tr this!
YAY! Glad this inspired you.
Terry L Jones says
SUPER Cute – I love it !!!!!